OfMathew Snaps Scene Research

The Handmaids Tale- OfMathew Snaps

I feel as though this is a efficient scene to research regarding our film due to the conformity that is depicted in this scene as well as the breaking of conformity. In this scene, OfMathew finally breaks from the conformity she is subject to; this relates to our film because we are trying to evoke a feeling of unease that becomes more intense as the film progresses in the midst of a “perfect” community. This scene also utilizes POV shots which is what our whole film will be shot in.

Cue Notes
What is the effectiveness of a POV shot? In this scene, the thrid shot is a POV shot from OfJoseph’s perspective. In this particular scene, it creates discomfort for the audience beacause they are placed into the world as opposed to looking at it from an outsider’s perspective. The POV shot where OfMathew has the gun is really interesting to me. I like the way we get to see the brim of her hat layered with the perspective of the gun, layered with the rest of the scene. The way she spins around creates a trapped feeling that I think is really effective. I think we could use the spinning motion in our film to help evoke a feeling of panic.
Would a voiceover be benefitial to our film?In this scene, we are subject to OfJoseph’s thoughts in the form of a voiceover. I feel that this could be an effective element in our film in addition to the POV shots like it they are used in this scene. The voiceover with the POV really shifts the entire perspective and mood and creates a character vs. the rest of the world type of feeling which is perfect for out film.
ColorThe bright lighting and overuse of the color white is a really smart decision in my opinion because it represents innocence and perfection. This contrasts well with the harsh red of the handmaids clothes and eventually their blood as well. The dark clothing of the guards (aka the eyes) also contrasts well with the white because it adds to the harsh connotation the audience places around them.
Uniformity I think the uniform visuals in this scene help explain the story a little bit better and make OfMathew’s “snap” even more dramatic. The uniform look of the gorcery store makes everything seem as though it’s alright which sets red flags off in the audience’s mind because it is in contrast to the intensity of the scene.
MusicThe eerie music that plays throughout this scene adds to the tension and uneasiness that is placed upon the audience. The innocent music that plays in the grocery store emphasizes the uneasiness of the scene and makes everything more dramatic; especially when OfMathew snaps. The music gets really creepy and slows down right before OfMathew is shot which helps the add to the anticipation of what will hapen next. When OfMathew is shot, the music stops which adds to the sock. The upbeat happy music that plays at the end is quite peculiar and really adds to the discomfort; I thought the music at the end was a great addition and way to end the scene.
DialogueThe simple dialogue in this scene adds to the discomfort and intesity because it forces the audience to “read between the lines” if you will, make infrences about the situation, and allows for more attention to be placed on the visual elements such as the characters body language. Also, the dialogue between characters is said in a way that makes it seem as though they have the best intentions, however, you can tell that there is an underlying emotion to all of it that is cut throat.

Summary

This scene has lots of film elements that could be incorporated into our film to successfully add to the uneasy feeling that we are trying to evoke. We can do this by using creative POV shots like a spinning POV, using a voiceover for our main character, creating contrast with color, contrasting with uniformity, using music that contradicts with the mood or that helps build anticipation, and writing a script that has minimal/simplistic dialogue that makes the audience uncomftorable.