“Chao” Film Production – Director’s Journal

Summary

Production Notes for Each Day of Shooting

Day 1– April 27, 2023:

-Got my team started on filming as soon as class started

-Review locations and make sure areas such as the back room in film class was set up

-Meet with the team, review the order of shots

-Meet with actors, review lines and blocking for scene 1

-Decided on camera angle with the cinematographer

-Made sure Lily was entering and exiting the scene according to my goals for x and y axis movement

-Filmed scene with Meredith and I told her what I wanted her to talk about during the scene

-Filmed all of the interviews at the same time

-I set up the room for the interviews and discussed what kind of camera angle I wanted with Sophie our cinematographer

-Since we had extra time, we decided to recruit Charlie for our film

-Filmed scene with Charlie and Lily

-Filmed Charlie’s interview

-Once we finished all of our shots I went through the storyboard with my team to make sure we had everything we needed as well as make sure everyone had their intentions completed for filming

On-Going Discussions with Film Team

The following images contain messages to the actors in the film before filming, during, and after.

What I Learned

I felt this film cycle really did teach me and my group a lot. We recognized the awesome plot and film we can create when we all commit. This film took one evening to film, but a total of 4 hours to finish. In the end, the film was only about 3 minutes. Overall I felt the biggest take away was what my group could accomplish when we all worked across our different roles to make our film align with our concept. I think what really helped connect all of our inspiration and vision for the film was our pre-production work making mood boards, and taking notes/researching our genre and ideas. We were very intentional in this portion of our production cycle and I think it showed with our final product. The shoot day was collaboration to its core. Because we finished filming in one day we had a good amount of class time to complete making the audio clips and sound track as well as editing. This allowed for more collaboration in finalizing our film product. There was trial and error in the sound room, and Sophina and I learned a lot about the software we had access to.

Editor

Lily